Prairie Legacy Inc. and Witt’s End Homestead LLC are sister companies looking to hire for the following job opportunities. All opportunities are based in Saline County Nebraska. Must be able to provide your own transportation or live on-site or nearby. All jobs may require travel.
The following job opportunities are available:
Part-time seasonal nursery help is needed for the summer of 2017. Daytime hours. We negotiate times with all our employees. Weekend hours are available. We are able to accommodate internship requirements. Send a contact form if you are interested in employment for next season. The season start time is as early as March, but it is negotiable.
Natural Resources/Horticulture/Plant Science/Ecology Internship
Horticulture, Native plant identification, Seed collection and production, Propagation
Witt’s End Homestead L.L.C. will provide a paid summer internship opportunity, with contract work for Prairie Legacy Inc. Prairie Legacy Inc. is a botanical consulting company providing native area plant surveys and research data collection for corporations, individuals and non-profit organizations. Witt’s End is a native plants nursery with greenhouse and several acres of production land as well as a working farm (no domestic animals) with lowland native forest and upland prairie. See www.prairielegacyinc.com
Develop new skills in your area of expertise, broaden your knowledge base, and enhance your plant identification skills while working in native areas. The Plant Science Internship is designed to provide qualified college students with the opportunity to work in native areas, doing seed and data collection and plant surveys broadening the students knowledge of native plant identification and plant propagation as part of a team to increase the availability of native plants and seed. This internship will be developed around the skills and abilities of the right person.
* Help Maintain a high-quality nursery plant and seed production area.
* Propagate, transplant, irrigate, prune and harvest a wide variety of plants.
* Participate in meetings and training sessions as scheduled.
* Collect grassland plot data in several locations.
* This intern may have responsibility to coordinate a seed banking collection effort.
* Interact with clients and customers in a professional manner
* Seed collection, some cleaning and storage and asexual propagation and protocols
* Record keeping.
Additional potential areas of work
* May attend and help at trade shows or markets as vendor
* Help conduct plant surveys
* Control of exotic and invasive plant species
* R&D erosion control sod
* R&D of economic potential of native plantings for small farm profitability
* Duties related to Wetland mitigation
These are the minimum qualifications you need to be considered for this position:
* College student or recent college graduate.
* Jr or Senior High school students may also be eligible.
* Valid driver’s license
* Applicable background and/ or major in Plant Science, Horticulture, Biology, Environmental Studies, Ecology, or similar etc.
* Strong interest in prairie lands ecology and native plants
* Demonstrate knowledge in plant science and plant taxonomy
* Must be able to work independently as well as part of a team
* Team player with demonstrated verbal communication skills, work ethic, reliable transportation, and willingness to work on a flexible schedule.
* Must be able to work remote locations.
* Resume (outlining all of your required qualifications)
* Cover letter detailing your qualifications and interest
* College transcripts (official or unofficial)
* One professional letter of recommendation (previous industry employers and/or faculty preferred)
* 2 other references
* Must possess unrestricted work authorization
* Must provide full work availability
* Must provide own transportation to/from work.
The approximate dates of this internship are early May through August. Start and end dates are somewhat flexible. This person may be able to start as early as March. A very successful intern may be eligible for continued employment.
Most of the work is in a rural area near the town of Western, NE. There may be opportunities for car-pooling or temporary housing.
You may be contacted after your application has been reviewed to turn in additional support materials. If you have any additional questions or wish to submit an application, please email email@example.com, attention Kay. Apply by sending a letter of interest via email and attach your resume with references.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and ability. Range $9 to $15.00 per hour.
Application Deadline: The posting date is February 20, 2017. Please get your application in as soon as possible. This job will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Click below to share our grass roots